7/20/07

Whew. Hard Choice.

OK, first, . . . I HATE GRADES. It's a dark-age, perverted form of wrong think left over from Behaviorism. We should have shot all of Pavlov's dogs. So, whom to-choose-for-the-celestial-kingdom is a game I'm playing to avoid pushing the grade send" button to registrar's office. Celestial Kingdom, you say? Yes. I'm never swearing again, so I'll, of course, get to the kingdom first, since I'm in JG's perfected- beyond- belief category. (OK, now I feel like I'm bordering on "light mindedness," because none of this is funny. In fact, life isn't very funny, except in a snicker cynical way, which I don't want to fall in to. Yep. It's clearly a non-funny day.) But, here's the deal--Urban's married presently to Nicole Kidman, but I don't expect that to last beyond his next visit to Rehab. Cusack is mysteriously private, which for now gets my vote. But, Redford's scene washing Streepe's hair in Out of Africa was a sensual A+. Yet Al Pacino in Serpico and J.Depp in . . .Gilbert Grape seem like real human beings. I think it might just be a polygamous affair.

And, I know I haven't seen the other Potter movies, but Harry was a wimp as he hid behind the wall and let his teacher (the guy with the rubber band around his beard?) almost die. Why did he not step in? Why? And I agree that a "dark against light, with Light winning" movie is fare for our children, but . . . .Though I loved the scene in the fortune telling warehouse where all the balls are crashing and breaking--think of the symbolism behind that? Whew. Enough to take my head right off my shoulders. . . .Was one of those fortunes breaking apart mine?Does that mean that my life just fell off a shelf and stopped . . . ? That's what it feels like sometimes.

I saw the worst movie I've ever seen in my entire life last night--It's called the Island, but it had some good actors in it. How could they have agreed to such a stinky plot-driven, car-wrecking, mucus-sucking, sack-ripping horror of a film. I watched it with Meg and her new husband, wishing I was hacking through a trail of knee high cactus, or climbing Mt Everest barefooted and hatless--anywhere but sitting in front of that screen. I swear this movie has six places where I had tingles of sweet gratitude that it was finally ending. But it didn't ever end--a real Chucky movie in disguise. It's the film I'll recommend to anyone I don't like. And I never want to rent a movie again until I die.

10 comments:

S.Morgan said...

I can NOT believe I just spent one hour of my eternal time loading pictures of married men onto my blog. I feel slightly sick. Fever. Bad headache. I'm not "light minded"; I've lost my mind. It's disintegrated into ashes, landed on the backs of tiny bugs in my river and is now floating out to the sea. I'm going home and download some Rufus Wainwright.

S.Morgan said...

Em. I just found an apartment off the Les Invalides for 150Euros a night. How much is that? I'm flying out tonight to track down some sanity. I'll be back for camping.

Emily G said...

okay let's do it. it's an unheard of hour of the morning in florida but i don't feel good and i can't sleep from the snoring of all other four gillilands so i'm crouched in the bathroom with my sister's computer, dreading the morning and the day of universal studios to come. whine, whine, whine. i'm almost finished with poisonwood bible. it's breaking me. all i want to do is finish it. don't worry about the married men. it's not them you're after, it's the objectified version of them. still not very great, but better than adultery.

can we add robert redford to the list?

okay, i WILL fall asleep. i'm going to go put a pillow on my head.

charityeve said...

What, pray tell, is Robert doing to that poor woman?

parkinfamily said...

I know that this isn't the point of your entire angst ridden post, but I think that you are too hard on poor Harry. I went and saw the movie, thinking, wow, Harry must have really changed in this movie, because I don't think that the I would have ever used the word "wimp" to describe him in the past ones. Well, I don't think that he was necessarily a wimp in this one. Yes, he did sit by, quivering, as Dumbledore fought for him, but remember Harry Potter is only like 15 or 16 and he has had a pretty crappy life thus far. I think that one thing the Rowling and the actors who portray her characters do well is get the teenage emotions out. You feel the awkwardness between Ron and Hermione because you know eventually they will hook up (I think Hermione can do much better, but that is a whole different subject). Try to sympathize with Harry as a 16 year old kid who just found out that there is no way that he can reside on the same planet at the same time as the most evil force anyone has ever seen. Whew. Who knew that I felt so strongly about Harry Potter (I've never even read the books.)

charityeve said...

parkinfamily, I don't know who you are, but you have one serious crush. Maybe I should photoshop you and Harry.

Chan said...

Maybe Robert Redford should stay off the list. I hear he's very short, and in some movies his skin looks like the leather off an old couch.

Grifter said...

Serpico, all the way. But I mean, the real Frank Serpico.

You both are heroic. Shacking up with him would double your hero status.

Grifter said...

And oh yeah--forget Les Invalides---Hotel Henri IV, on Place Dauphine..untouchable for 50 Euros a night...

Emily G said...

Sharon, did you not see that Harry Potter DID try to fight for Dumbledore but Dumbledore flashed his wand at Harry to knock his wand away and barrier him from the fight? If anything, Harry is too eager to jump into sketchy situations and Dumbledore constantly tries to protect him. Sheesh.