7/13/07

Amends

Wife and I went out tonight, a rarity these days for scheduling and financial reasons. It was nice to be with her again. To regain an old and lovely vision.
I wanted to share something beautiful. After getting gently and rightfully scolded for my language, I thought it would be a good idea to post something uplifting. What I had in mind were three songs by the Penguin Cafe Orchestra. They're not a new band, which means they have a better than average shot at being good. And they are.
I tried to post the songs via Youtube, but like the band I'm not new either, so my technological savvy wavers. The best I can do is recommend you check them out for yourselves. If you like, listen to them in this order: Perpetual Continuum, Paul's Dance, Salty Bean Fumble. The first is not my favorite, but is a pretty good introduction to the band. The second is for change of pace, and the third is just fun.
The more life I live, I find healing in music, turning to it more and more as one turns to church, to nature. There is a reason old people listen to mellow music. Their own experiential noise is plenty.
Finally, to not leave this post pictorially bare, I will go against my previous statement and show three animal shots.
I gave this buxom toad to the kids two days ago. They took it with them to the babysitter's house, where they lost it.

I love this moth. The frayed wings' edges are from the lizard I caught that nipped off the tips.

You can just see its head, but this is the offending lizard. After seeing it harmlessly bite my finger, Claire insisted we try to get it to bite her nose.

6 comments:

Emily G said...

Claire is so beautiful....I have rarely seen such a beautiful little girl. She is going to break hearts, especially when she's the types to let cicadas/locusts crawl all over her face and lizards hang by their teeth from the end of her nose. You'd better be careful with her, Jaren. Keep a rifle where the boys can see it in your hands.

Grifter said...

This Claire child rocks, as I am sure all your kids do.

charityeve said...

Am I the only one here who can sympathize with this toad?

S.Morgan said...

JW, The following line is profoundly profound. "There is a reason old people listen to mellow music. Their own experiential noise is plenty." You explained why I'm so addicted to my IPod Plus, I'm so glad you took sweet wife on a date. Such wonderful amends, friend. I'm looking for your music.

Emily G said...

SweetWife?!?!?!!! Is that really you? Are you going to write on here with us? Sexy profile picture! Hooray! Post some paragraphs soon!

Charity, seriously, I'm really looking forward to my first trip down to Tuscon. I'll let you guys settle in first and get to know the lay of the land, and then I'm sleeping over.

charityeve said...

Settle NOTHIN!!! You're coming STRAIGHT over or we'll see how much you REALLY know about surviving in the desert.

on a more gentle note.
Yeah, I did some reading last night and figured out why JP's (Jaren Philip) so addicted to this blog. You guys are hillarious. I want in. Can you hook me up with access to post? I'll try to make it worth your while.

S&M, Now that I've read your comment along with the previous offense by my sweet husband, I must confess I had no idea what you were talking about when you mentioned it on the phone, but I didn't want to interrupt you so I just went along with it. Sorry--I won't let it happen again. For the record, just assume Jaren is bloated at all times and you'll be safe.