7/11/07

"A bee-loud glade"


"For I shall have some peace there for peace comes dropping slow"

When I flew to Ireland for the first time, I wanted to see Yeat's Isle of Innisfree. I heard that if you could recite the whole poem, the barkeep gave you a large mug of beer--not, of course, that I would ever , . . . you know.
Just the name itself is poetry--"Inn- is- free." But, another director--who shall remain nameless--said we must hurry, didn't have time, Let's race through Ireland quickly, didn't want to see the squalor and poverty. Get to Scotland where we could buy lots of plaid to give away to relatives at Christmas (I don't have relatives who like plaid anything--not even plaid headbands made out of hippies.)

But, we had a Scottish bus driver who never missed the smallest tension on this trip. He loved drama of all kinds, and he whispered to me as I sulked my way onto the bus, "Don't you worry now, Cheron; I be getting you there."
And, he did. That sly hunk of a man drove into a nunnery, praising its antiquity and naming each tree we passed, then, he quickly pulled to the back of the convent and there--right smack in front of us--was the Isle of Innisfree, lying like a huge green seaweed lady, unconnected to either water or land, with the mist barely lifting. We could hear pots and pans rattling in the Convent kitchen, and the director saw he'd been tricked as the Scotsman made a great deal out of checking the back tires. Bless his trickster heart.

"Well, now that we're here," one-who-is-nameless said. "Let's have Sis Papworth (I think that was my name then--I've had so many it's often hard to keep track: tusk tusk.) tell us about William Butler Yeats.

I glowed. I beamed out sunlight. I walked to the shore barely touching the ground. Pure white adrenaline shot through my frontal brain lobe as I began to uncover and thus convert 28 students to Mr. W. B. Yeats, himself. Such excitement over sharing the pocket of my brain where I store Yeats along with Keats and other great poets ( I tend toward those who die young upon the ashes of their talents) can't be described. I have no words for the clean exchange of innocent beauty--in all its abstractness.

I recited the poem and others. I painted his portrait and his life with words. I lowered my voice as I spoke of the epitaph on his grave: "Horseman pass by." When I finished, and slowly emerged from my transcendental (slightly LSD flashback-like) state and looked around, my faith in students who take trips to Europe once again dropped like a dead fish.

But, . . . the Scotsman . . . that bus driving Scot stood still, transfixed, staring at me as of I were an angel from heaven or a mermaid crossed over from the green island. He walked through the students, around the other directors, and took hold of my hand. "That was a thing of beauty, Cheron, and I want to thank thee from the bottom of my heart for such a gift."
That's when I fell in love with all Scottish men. At least, anyway, the ones who don't have four letter, one word vocabularies.

6 comments:

Jaren Watson said...

S&M, First, we need to discuss the cessation of your late nights. You've simply got to stop this nonsense. Henceforth, a curfew. Say, 8:30pm. You don't have to go to sleep then, but come 8:30, you're to be in bed with lights out.
Second, nice post. I'm sorry He-who-must-not-be-named tried to stymie your plans, but I'm glad the gallant Scot found a way to get you there.
Ah, the mysterious pull of foreign bus drivers. Who hasn't fallen in love with a dozen or so?

Emily G said...

Sharon, more later, but I read this right after getting back from the midnight showing of Harry Potter 5 and even though I knew who you were really talking about, I just kept thinking...Sharon went to Europe with VOLDEMORT??? And it made things much more exciting. And weird.

Grifter said...

sharon--

I will follow your grand post with an off-topic and random realization: the house on 131 Birch is a linchpin between us that I had forgotten about.

You ought to track down that Scot and show him why you are known as S&M.

Emily G said...

Sharon, this is why I really feel like I should go to the British Isles. Because I'm pretty determined that if I met some mormon irish or scottish guy, I could get them pretty quickly. I really do feel strongly about this. Because I'm not like your average American. So when they expect me to be really horrible and shallow, and then see that I am only SLIGHTLY horrible and shallow, it will SEEM like I'm anything BUT horrible and shallow because of the expectations that I proved wrong. See? And the accent totally makes up for the teeth. And it's not like I have Cindy Crawford's mouth myself.

So do you want to go track down that bus driver with me? You have six months to save money.

Emily G said...

Wait, actually, no, I am really serious about this. YOU SHOULD COME WITH ME. We'll do the British Isles and you can be my leader and instructor and giver of all things Yeats, Keats, Wordsworth, Shelley whoever the hell else you know more about than I do. SHARON. THINK ABOUT IT. Because who else are you going to go to Europe with? Anybody else would drive you crazy. With me, we could go see some stuff and then split up if we needed to. But I doubt we would because you'd have so much stuff to tell me about each crack in the pavement we come up to. We could get over there for about 200 clams on my Aunt Lori's buddy passes. So you just think on it. We'll talk about it over fishing and books in two weeks.

S.Morgan said...

Okay, so what does "get them pretty quickly" mean? Do you know what you're asking for, Em? We'd better go to Europe, so you can settle down a little and think.