7/1/07

Midnight River Sounds

Jen, yours and Em's last post made me cry. Beautiful. Really. Thanks. (And, Em. I'm still in a Feng shui-stage.)

Our Healing Place. I still think clothes hangers were the perfect reward for you all painting the kitchen. I was proud of my practicality, when my first grab was for ping pong balls to symbolize our group. Did Aaron Davis really put together the bookcase? and Joe G. fix the garage door opener? Or was I dreaming?

Actually, I spent a long time dreaming (nightmares) in those days before the river slowly cleaned out the dead places, making room for some peace. What is it about certain places? I think they're gifts from God. At the risk of grossing out Jaren, James and Joe (J.J.J. hang on guys: G for gush), I remember ripping out my heart at night and taking hours under the stars--a trillion stars--to wash it in river water, but the next morning I woke up again to the same unbearable pain, and I'd plead and scream at the universe to make it stop--Can God take away sharp memories that cut up our insides like broken glass? Yes, I believe yes, but only in His time and in His way.

Like Rachel in the wilderness, I wandered around under the trees in numb circles, looking for my children, for my family, for the strong arms of my temple sealed husband, for his voice, for his bed. I told God no one can stand this--especially not me--the weakest of the weak. "You are a cruel Monster," I'd shriek at him like a madwoman, "not to offer to take my heart to your throne and send it back alive and whole again, because I know you can do this, if you wanted to." . . . Instead, He gave me this endless river, and I'd lie in the grass and listen until the sharpness eased into hurt, then longing, then numbness, then slowly I became the grass, and one morning I heard fifteen different bird calls. Then a doe and twin fawns came into the backyard to stay around all one summer, and two bald eagles landed often in the trees. I saw I wasn't cast into outer darkness but walked with a hundred thousand living creatures, and they were all good. No sin. If a hawk dove for a fish, it was because he was hungry. And God had created and organized all this (only Man screwed up the scenario) and had given it to me for awhile. And He is a Master artist. And I still remember the morning I woke up to realize I was still breathing--I hadn't died--and didn't want to. And I've stopped envying people in coffins, because sometimes my heart is so light, it floats with the river and bird songs. And sometimes it's not--but I didn't die.

In my P. blessing is a line I hate: "When things in your life become difficult--almost unbearable--the Lord will raise up friends . . . ." That "unbearable" word scared me (still does). But He has done what He promised. All of you (and more) are my soul mates. You have--each in a different way--blessed me and lifted me when I could not walk or even sit up. Just like Chan did a couple of weeks ago, you help me like I'm your broken sister, instead of your older mother. And I thank you. I don't know how else to say that feeling. It sounds so trite, but I thank all of you for being with me in the pre-existence and dropping in once in awhile down here. I love you, and I love the Lord, and now I'm so sorry I shot the beavers and chased the raccoon with a flashlight. (Geez, Jen, way to open floodgates.)

14 comments:

Emily G said...

Sharon, I don't think the Beaver minded. And think of the great climax of his life....felling your 60-foot Christmas tree. Most beavers only dream of accomplishing so much.

And I think it goes without saying that we wouldn't have survived so well without you, either.

Jaren Watson said...

I agree with Emily, Sharon. I'm quite certain the beaver was thrilled to be shot. Most unshot beavers that I know mope around all day, bemoaning their bulletless lives. It is a little known fact that in every major war, the battlefields were swarmed with energetic little beavers, all hoping to get lucky. I tell you this: You've never seen a beaver jump till you've seen one leaping into the path of a stray bullet.

Grifter said...

Tak for alt, Sharon. Tak.

S.Morgan said...

Joe G. Huh?

Jaren Watson said...

I'm glad Sharon's not the only confused one. JG, what gives?

S.Morgan said...

Jaren, do you think it's Latan? Or is he drunk this early in the morning?

Jaren Watson said...

If you don't go to sleep, it's late, not early.

Jaren Watson said...

In other words, drunk.

Grifter said...

it is the Austin, Nichols & Co. speaking...

gash you two, don't y'all know how to do a simple cut-and-paste google search?

Now you just trmapled over my sincere thanks to Sharon, giving me even more reason to fall into the bottle.

Grifter said...

trmapled! trmapled! tr-mapled.

tak for alt = thanks for everything

Emily G said...

tr-mapled = (v) to see through, tear apart, wise up to, conquer, become one with, backhand slap

Latan = Satan's never-puntual next-of-kin, sometimes mistaken for J.G.

S.Morgan said...

OK J.G.,Ignore the cynical, falling-to-hell-soon, word freaks out there and translate for me? If you gave me a sincere thanks, I want it out in the open like a man, Sam. Why? Because I--unlike our other smart-mouthed friends--intend to publish sincere uncensored gush forever--the key here is "sincere." (But I need some encouragement--not encouragement for the gush but for the "sincere.") Say it LOUD, my good friend. I'd treasure it forever. And don't worry about the CFWF's (Cynical, falling-to-hell, word Freaks.) I'll beat them back with whips and snakes and chains. They'll return to their cages, whimpering in shame.

Jaren Watson said...

Whips and snakes and chains? I wouldn't have expected such from you, S&M.

S.Morgan said...

JW, if your post on the beaver (above) hadn't knocked me off my chair with laughter, I'd fly out there, dump you in a garbage can, put stamps on it, and mail you to Siberia. If it weren't for my fear that your sweet, fair haired daughter may look at pictures on these posts, I'd show you the true, bullet less death of a beaver. (OK, I admit it. I had to kill two of them.)