6/26/07

Goats, Em? And my two cent memories



Joe, I may sell to go after a PhD with Em and Jaren (though I haven't discussed this with them yet.) For now my beautiful daughter, Meg, and her ex-Jehovah Witness, ex-heroin addict husband (long story)-- who's getting baptised in three weeks--will be cutting the grass and feeding the ducks while I'm gone. If I do sell, I promise I'll call you, so you can come fishing again. But I won't be moving into a town--ever. I get sick when too many people are thinking all at the same time around me, and I'm sure I could never sleep closed in with a lot of people filling up the air with their own dreams. And what if they were dreaming silly dreams? I hate stupid dreams. I've had peace here and much healing; it may be too difficult to move. . . . or it may have served its purpose.

Em. I cannot believe you put goats on my blog; if my cowboy dad sees it, he'll freak. He already thinks you're weird from the deck party when you shoved a whole hamburger in your mouth, slobbering tomatoes while Trevor filmed it. . . .

My memory, Jaren? I had a goat once. We were leaving the Blackfoot fair, walking by the petting zoo, when a guard stopped us because a Shetland was birthing a colt. Twilight, warm air, holding my husband's hand, watching a miracle--whew. A pygmy goat kept rubbing up against my leg; she hid behind me because the Shetland was screaming (horse screams are different from human; painful, but cleaner, more pure--can't explain; no words for it). I knelt by the goat to keep her from being scared, and my son, Turner, shook his head and said, "Don't even think about it, Mom." Yep. She rode home in the back of the car with T. After a couple of days, she thought she was a dog and would run down the lane to meet the kids, chase any car that drove in, bunt cats with her head. One time I let her in the house when Dad was there, and he said "Oh sh--!" Put on his hat and left. (Do you know why cowboys hate sheep and goats? Because they eat the grass clear down almost to the roots, so it won't grow fast enough for cattle to range on it. But now who the h--- cares, except old old cowboys, because most of our cattle belong to BIG ranches and rodeo stock, and the government owns most of the range. My, My, I forgot how I hate the big government.) Anyway, I couldn't wait 'til summer when I could really play with this goat. But Taylor came in from feeding the horses one day to tell me he'd found blood and hair along the snow path. "I'll go find her," he said. All of us, including grandchildren, threw on coats. If she was dead, I needed to see it. If I don't face crap like that, it stays on, floating around in my head, hanging around to drop on my Prufrock plate at the oddest times, and the plate's already too full. We checked out the fox den, but something had been after them also. The grand kids found her. We saw them across the field, standing still and staring at the ground. A coyote from the river maybe or huge dogs (several; many tracks) had ripped open her stomach to get at the food I'd fed her the night before. Later Brayten (5 yrs then) said, "I wish I hadn't seen her." Parker (10) said, "Geez, stop talking about it, Brayten." Brayten spun around and yelled at him, "Shut up, Parker. I gotta talk about it." (I've always admired that kind of courage.) Then he asked me if I thought the goat went to heaven. I said, "Heck yeah, I've got so many animals in heaven that there's barely going to be room for us--dogs, cats, horses, frogs, turtles, fish, canaries, but no snakes-- the Lord's probably already given them our ranch up there to run around on. That goat is probably sleeping in your room right now." . . . Geez, what a stupid thing to say, especially when I wanted to leave, go to the barn and kick some hay, swear every swear word I know--which are many. Well, that was a darn sad memory. Sorry. Biker chick's fault. (How funny, Jaren.) She started it.

But I must warn you, I do write whatever sits on the end of my tongue, which may be sentimental, cheese, kitch, and sometimes some darn nice sentences, sooooo my friends . . . I need some sleep, or I'll stay home again to play with my dog tomorrow and soon get fired from my job. Oh darn.

8 comments:

Emily G said...

Sharon....I'm making Jen late by writing this so no profound statements from me, but I like what you write whenever you write it so don't start censoring yourself for us now...not that you would. Yes, the only way I would let you leave your home is if Meg and her husband took over so you could get a PhD. I'm supposed to come up and see you soon. We'll look at programs together?

Grifter said...

I think my world would be rocked off its axis knowing that someone else was living in that house.

And I appreciate your consideration. I would love to go back out and visit you.

S.Morgan said...

Movie: I'd never heard of it either. We just wandered into it from eating Chinese food next door. I don't even know the right title. And maybe Joe's right; it isn't any good; I could have been lovestruck because,of course, you know I changed my mind recently, and instead of marrying Keith Urban in the Millennium--it's Cusack all the way(though he's a bit chunky and swollen in this movie). So maybe I could have just been "lovestruck"? Naw. Maybe it's just refreshing to see a scary movie without gross bloody blobs coming out of people's bodily openings. Or maybe I see some real truth in facing demons rather than running and admire anyone who tries to portray it--albeit clumsily. Naaaaaw. I have to face it. I'm in love with Cusack. The dialog with S. Jackson is pretty funny, and the ending is a stupid oversight. But . . . Cusack loses "someone" twice.(I'm not going to tell you who, though the bleeding feet were weird, huh, Joe?) I applauded this because we never lose people from our lives only once. The losing goes on and on until. . . . Cusack tries again to control the situation and protect her, but again, he has to face his own helplessness and accept THAT. Reminded me of Jaren, Greg, Chandler, Tanner . . . Go see it. I'm curious what you'll say. But, hey, my list of the best I've seen this year is a fat zero. Nothing I would even call a real movie has come out.(And don't anyone dare recommend Spider Man. I'm still gagging over Conan the Goman from outer space, gag.) I know my film snobbery is showing. In fact, can someone recommend anything? I need my reality changed ASAP.

Grifter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Grifter said...

for what it's worth...some films that I saw recently (within the last year) that knocked me flat:

The Wind that Shakes the Barley
Turtles Can Fly
North Country
The Bicycle Thieves

S.Morgan said...

Again, Joe saves my life. I've seen Turtles can Fly. It broke my head wide open and my heart.

Jaren Watson said...

My recommendation (to Sharon and the rest): My Flesh and Blood. It's an amazing documentary about flesh . . . and blood. Rather, it's a film about a single mother of 13 children, 9 of whom she adopted, all having special needs ranging from mild retardation to severe burns to, worst of all, epidermolysis bullosa. Wife and I watched it last night. It's great for helping you put your own problems into perspective, i.e., your problems ain't squat--when I say "you" I mean I, or perhaps, us.

Sharon, come to Tucson. It's going to be Stein's salon of this decade (without the expatriates of course). But, gasp, the house?

Emily G said...

yeah, I'll probably see the Cusack film now just because I'm curious. Besides, Joe was always a bigger movie snob than me anyway.....I can sit through Legally Blonde with Jen okay and actually enjoy myself with a few bend-and-snaps behind the scenes.....I'll see the movie and report back.

Um....what have I seen lately......mmmmmmm.......I don't know, but do you want to watch that Bjork movie when I come? I was about to watch it with Jaren and Charity and watched the first bit of Pan's Labyrinth, instead (a fine movie, but I don't think you'd like it. In fact, you won't like it). What do you think?