9/3/07

"If Tomorrow wasn't such a long time."

As long as we're doing vintage--1992. And guess what? I'm not eating frogs. (Man, I've raised a lot of chillin')
Just got back from a week of fishing and camping. Blessedly alone.
I think I restored enough sanity to face fall semester. Ugga. And I did not eat beetles, ants, spiders of any kind, suck water from a cactus, nor even see a live frog. I did roast marshmallows, throw together dutch oven for when it got too hot to fish, and ate salted almonds while I devoured four whole books without neighbors or bills or cell phones interrupting. Thank heaven for rivers, pine trees, and full starry skies. Weird though how lots of memories came crowding in. I restored the peace I needed inside by throwing a rock at a bald headed, wall street jet skier. (Well, . . . Charity, he was out too early and scaring fish clear to China, and of course I missed him.) It felt good. I have to say. It felt real good to know that I almost knocked a loud jet skier into the Island Park Reservoir. Then I left for higher places.

Some memories make me feel all wrapped up, warm and safe. Some are like bee stings on the inside of my throat. I think living hurts, but, also, it sure has some ecstasy. And then there's Mr. Bob Dylan always riding over the plains on a bright white horse to keep things real and save me from crusting over into layers of safe, role-playing masks. Remember this one?


If today was not an endless highway,
If tonight was not a crooked trail,
If tomorrow wasn't such a long time,
Then lonesome would mean nothing to you at all.

Yes, and only if my own true love was waitin',
Yes, and if I could hear [his] heart a-softly poundin',
Only if he was lyin' by me,
Then I'd lie in my bed once again.

I can't see my reflection in the waters,
I can't speak the sounds that show no pain,
I can't hear the echo of my footsteps,
Or can't remember the sound of my own name.
Yes, and only if my own true love was waitin',
Yes, and if . . .

There's beauty in the silver, singin' river,
There's beauty in the sunrise in the sky,
But none of these and nothing else can touch the beauty
That I remember in my true Love's eyes.

7 comments:

Jaren Watson said...

I'm glad you're back, and I'm glad you had a recuperative mountain experience, even if you did leave us Sharonless.

Emily G said...

Yes, Sharon, you picked a good night to spread your thoughts and wisdom out on the internet for us. I'm feeling particularly lonely tonight....I do love many things about Arizona, but it isn't my home. I am going to miss autumn.

The only thing to look forward to is snow-less streets.

.....................Why am I down here again? Endless highway and crooked road indeed. Sharon, isn't there something in Rigby I could do for a living?????

parkinfamily said...

You asked for the news Sharon...the Parkin clan is expecting baby number 2 in April! Up until about a week ago didn't feel real, but then I threw up this morning, so I know that I am really pregnant.

Emily G said...

Morning sickness.......at least I don't have morning sickness.....

Jen, how long are trimesters? Three months?

charityeve said...

Oh, Sharon, I'm actually tickled with the image of you sprinting across your lawn (or wherever you were), armed with a stone, hurling it at some unsuspecting water jock. I wish I could have seen it! Hurry and come here. Emily might feel at home if you were here. I desperately want her to stay. We would all be so lovely together! PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE! We have a big back yard, you could park your RV back there and use our utilities!

Thanks for posting again! I was feeling a void.

Grifter said...

SM. Let's get together, yeah yeah yeah (I was actually going to try to insert the rest of the lyrics of a Hailey Mills song [from the Parent Trap] right there...I just thouroughly smacked myself over the head with my Swingline as penitence).

No really. Lunch soon. This will happen. And I think that you and Ashley and I should all get together and go see '3:10 to Yuma' soon.

S.Morgan said...

I think I have Nile Virus, and I'm decaying into death, but JG, you'll never guess what I flipped to as I shivered under blankets today(not really; I'm just having sympathy pains for Jen). Yep. 3:10 to Yuma. Glen Ford! And all the men in the movie could actually ride horses--no faking.... Gunshot--sound of body falling down stairs. "Well, now. It's just me and you." ...Ford puts both feet on the bed and crosses legs. "Why, if I had that pretty wife of yours, I wouldn't risk dying. Let's just walk out of here right now--together, or give me your gun." Panic in Sheriff's face turns to righteous anger. "No. No, never. I'm duty bound to take ya in. Now sit in that chair and shut-up, or I'll shoot ya right here and now." I watched it up to the wife scene, then got hung up playing with my dogs. I've never seen Ford as a villain, riding a black horse, wearing a black hat. Is he dead now? And, geez, if any good film gets within 50 miles, you guys please come and get me.

Em. We have no art here. We have no music, no good films (JG is so bored he's watching Parent Trap, for heck's sake--Megan's favorite movie--I've seen it 100000 times)"No, I'm not coming back. You've had mother all these years, and I'm simply not coming back."...Haley Mills says to Hally Mills on the telephone at 3am. "You have to. This is serious." "Well, submarine her, for pity's sake." Grandfather: "Hey, there, Child, what are you doing," as Mills buries her head again in his jacket. "Making a memory." (I can even say that sentence with just the right inflections.)...What are you homesick for? Em. Get your head straighted out. I want you to get some Zen stuff going. I so envy you down there sitting on warm rocks, eating frogs, watching those thousand-colored sunsets. Everyone I know wakes up scared, and everyone is lonely. (I'm a great comfort, aren't I?) It's another home you're longing for, so suck it up. Get applying for your PhD. I've been looking at New Mexico because Naomi Shihab Nye guest teaches there, and I've always wanted to visit Taos, sans drugs. What does Heavenly Father say? What does He want from you? You can't go wrong if you go that way. But I'll look for a truck driving job in Rigby for you just in case. "Snowless streets." ...Yes, we do have "shade" up here, but I'll trade you the shade for snowless streets in a couple months. Besides I don't recall you being much of a snow-lover anyway. Now get busy researching schools. You been traveling around all summer. It's time to sit with yourself and look around a little bit at where you are. "Doesn't anyone stay in one place anymore?" I haven't gotten dressed for two days, and I'm not going to do it until after Christmas when this stupid semester is over. But I'm also well aware that "where ever you go; there you'll be." Man, I'm glad I have a river. And I do miss you even though it seems like I'm always yelling. And I'm going to find another picture for your profile, too.

Jen, what can I say? I hope you have ten children because you're such a good mom, but I'm sorry about the 9-month thing. I always wished I could order my kids through UPS. Congrats. Girl.