8/9/08

Opening Ceremonies--A Celebration of the Human Body.




OK. Yes, my heart hurts over Tibet (it has for a long time), and yes, I'm aware that a family member of our Volley Ball coach was murdered by a Chinese man on Saturday (who immediately committed suicide), and of other sundry events taking place as I write,but I'm still in awe over the opening Olympic Ceremonies.
Can we argue that some of the money spent should have gone to other causes? Yes. Of course. Is it strange to see Pres. Bush playing volleyball in Beijing while Russia blows Georgia off the map? Yes (enough said on that issue). But, I feel sorry for any who missed the opening ceremonies (except for EmPo and Bradly, whose wedding is a very good excuse). What an amazing event!
Zhang Yimou (director of HERO, HOUSE OF FLYING DAGGERS, etc.) gets most of the credit. Maybe later, he will regret aligning himself with China's official authoritarian state identity, since he's been at odds with China's leaders most of his life, but he is an incredible Chinese Artist--maybe "he" will be the future China, as he tries to move his beloved homeland out from under Mao Zedong's shadow, or, maybe he's in the process of selling out his old beliefs--but, right now I don't care, because he gave those who saw it an amazing gift of art, vision, theology, harmony, and pure beauty. I heard two newscasters today, who have covered over 25 opening ceremonies between them, say they have never seen anything like it, not only in the Olympics, but also in any art form, ever; nor did they expect to see such an event again in their lifeimes. One said, "There are no words for it."

Today, I got addicted, forgot about politics, watched volleyball, swimming, and cycling--yuk--but I loved it all--even found myself routing for Lithuania's long-haired Samoilovs against US almost-seven-foot giant, who should have won, but didn't. And good for Spain for winning the cyclist race, which was painful to watch because of the tortuous route. The point? The celebration of the physical human body is the center of the Olympic Games. My body hurts all the time now, but I remember how it feels to be healthy (though none of us will ever reach the training heights of Olympians. Hardly). I love this celebration, no matter where it's held, but, there's no doubt that Zhang Yimou artistic portrayal will be hard to beat--ever. If you missed it, try to pull up some news coverage re-runs--but not from YouTube--don't wade through the hate mongers; go to a reputable news source--that is, if you can find one.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Sharon, you're absolutely right. I loved that opening ceremony. In fact, Valerie and I got cable just to watch the Olympics and that opening ceremony was spectacular.

Was my favorite part the people under the undulating boxes or was it the Tai Chi circle? Or the running around the globe, or the drummers, or the beautiful giant LED screen? I'm not sure.

Possibly, it was the story of the nine year old boy who rescued two class mates from his earthquake torn classroom. When he was asked why he did it? "Because he was one of the class leaders, he was a hall monitor, it was his responsibility."

I might have walked away for a bit before I started bawling everywhere.

I hate so much about the Chinese government and its actions. But the Olympics are a celebration of the world. I have to let go just for a little while and love it. It may be the only thing this world does right.

Megan said...

That little boy is amazing... You're post was good for me, Mom. My first response to you when you asked if I was watching the Olympics was, "I don't support Communism." What the heck was that? I'm embarressed that came out of mouth because you opened up a whole new picture of it for me today.

Thanks. Love you.

Emily G said...

Did you tape it? I've only been able to see highlights, but even they were worthy of shedding a tear or two. It made me wonder what the fireworks celebration will look like in the millenium. No, I'm not making fun of you, I seriously started to wonder that. Surely there will be fireworks after Armageddon. Surely.

S.Morgan said...

Aw, Em, fireworks were invented by the Chinese, so of course they were spectacular, but it was the rest of it that left me speechless. I agree with GM. What part can I name as my favorite? I don't know. I was amazed, thrilled, stunned, astonished, completely bowled over, and ended up in tears--just sobbing. I'm fascinated that sheer beauty, precision, harmony, and intricate plays of lightness of being and darkness can move our-oh-so-numb minds and spirits. I could fly all the way to Salmon afterward (even stopped to fish at Birch Creek on the way). Another astounding thing about the nine-year-old hall monitor is that China was holding him up as a hero. Some would say he rescued his classmates because he's a brain-washed communist, who does everything for the good of the state (hard for me to understand that part of Zhang Jimou's movie HERO). Others would say he was completely selfless. All I know is that I want to be just like him when I grow up.