6/9/08

Beavers and Black Swans


Sunday afternoon, and I'm lying on my porch swing reading and watching the birds dive bomb over the river, when the cat's tail starts to wag slowly in her "hunter-killer" mode. I glance toward the river and see a black swan, with a neck like a snake, swim by the small island, next to the new beaver dam. I've never seen a black swan out of captivity, and I spend the rest of the afternoon watching it glide back and forth and dip its head in the river. Once it came up to swim next to my canoe--what a treat.

Next, after dark, Patch is barking frantically enough to pull me away from another book. The idiot has something pinned down in the garage. I draw back to consider, since last time it turned out to be a small skunk, who sprayed. But I finally reach my hand around the door and hit the door opener. Does Patch chase the "thing" OUTSIDE? Nope--that's too easy for him. Instead, I hear them running directly back toward me as I dash for the door, just in time to see . . . what? A raccoon? It ran like a beaver, but it was too big. My first thought was "It's a porcupine," but Patch would have quills sticking out of his nose by now. Whatever it is scrambles over the cat, who jumps to my shoulder (with claws,of course, open); I scream, and Patch barks this brown lump, three times his size, clear to China and back. What a grand day. I think it was a grizzly bear or a lion, maybe a tiger.

3 comments:

Emily G said...

I hope the grizzly bear is still there this weekend. I'm excited to see it, and you.

A black swan........so beautiful. I may even just camp outside your house except I don't have a decent sleeping bag anymore. But I would love to just sleep out there and listen to the river. Stock the freezer with ice cream (just kidding....I am on a strictly vegetable diet. just kidding again).

S.Morgan said...

Megan says the Black Swan is a prince with green eyes, who's come to watch over me.

Meg and I will be running around all day Sat. But meet us here at least by 6:00 if you want to go to the rodeo. I'll leave back door open. I've got a good sleeping bag, if you want to sleep on the porch swing, but it's 53 degrees here, and the wind blew over another huge tree today. You can help me chain saw it up for camping this summer.

emily said...

A few things--First of all--I'm with Megan about the prince with green eyes thing. What else could a black swan mean? Henrietta loves the pictures and says, "Dee-da, dee--da" frantically when the pictures pass in the slideshow. I'm not sure what that means, she's never said it before, maybe it's baby for "prince."

Second--I am SOOOOOOO JEALOUS you are going to the rodeo! They had some huge rodeo in New York last year--many of the cabs strapped bull horns to the front. I tried to get tickets at the last minute but they were $300. I wish I were there to watch those cowboys on the bucking horses--those angry, grunting horses are my favorite.

Third--did you actually grant chain saw access to E. Gilliland? May want to rethink that one(sorry em).

Fourth--look I posted to a blog!!!