5/15/08

Roy Reynold's sketch of a Hipster

Late 60's. I was in Moscow, Idaho looking into the church, and I read the scriptures for hours at a time. My artist friend Roy sketched me reading the Bible. I glued the sketch on a cutting board, so as not to lose it in the next 22 moves. The sketch looks like I felt at the time--scared, unsure, reluctant--praying all the time that I wouldn't find the Mormon church was true. "Please don't let it be true." But it was true then and is still true-blue now.
I splashed my favorite colors on the sketch. It makes me feel good to remember those slow diamond-like discoveries.

4 comments:

anne said...

Those were good times. Your home in Moscow was a haven for struggling souls, including mine. Thank you for being there then and ever since.

Megan said...

That is the most beautiful picture, Mom. It speaks of you and everything about you. I've always loved that picture, but what you did with it really reaches.

My beautiful mother...

Emily G said...

Sharon, you are beautiful. I miss you. I boasted about you all week to my hippie friends. Well, maybe you don't think they are hippie. But maybe you would. They live in yurts. Sharon, come with me to Boulder. I want to show you how to make pottery out of clay we dig up ourselves.

Audi Newton is here with me and she wants me to say you are beautiful and fantastic. Wish you were here. I want to visit Rexburg sometime in June or July. Let's plan it (because you and I are so good at planning).

Unknown said...

Hey, yo. I'm coming to Rexburg in a week. I'll be crashing your office either Thursday or Friday. Get ready!